For many of you out there who are impacted by the darkness that addiction breeds, Dr. Gabor Mate captures the pain and bedevilment of the lives of many people struggling with the disease of addiction.
The depiction takes place in the rough streets of Vancouver’s East Side, a corridor of blocks that have been plagued with disease and drug use for decades. Dr. Mate attempts to shine light on the internal struggle many people go through and the dark side of humanity that flourishes around these suffering addicts.
This book came highly recommended but to be honest with you guys, I didn’t really enjoy the read. I felt that the book really focused on the details that take place in the minds and hearts of addicts but Dr. Mate fails to focus on a strong solutions for the future for the people of Vancouver’s East Side.
When reading stories filled with battle scars, filled with real life emotion and tragedy, I want to feel hopeful and connected after the read, not puzzled and depressed. I think most of us in some way shape or form know the struggles and mindset of the people with the disease of addiction, but know little about strong successes. I found myself almost yearning for the next page to start developing on ideas that would guide these people out of the darkness, but that never happened. I kept reading through, page after page, learning more about several patients of his that he treated over the years and was filled with sadness.
I think the focus of the book could have been more balanced with success stories, instead of harm reduction!
Would I suggest reading this book?
– Only if you want to feel emotionally connected with a bunch of hopeless struggling people living in fear and drama every day! If you are anything like the emotional sponge that I am (working my way to detachment) you might find the book too dark.
Have you read this book?
- Tell Me All Your Thoughts On God – Christianity 101
- “Fuck Society” – Mr Robot’s Elliot Alderson Outlines Society’s Blind-spots With Fervor
- Top 25 Regrets I Lived With For The Last 20 Years And Choose Not To Live With Any More
- A Teacher Explains To His Students Just How Privilege Works
- The Landmark Forum – Don’t Do It – Top Five Fails of Landmark Forum
- Can’t Drink Anymore? – You Aren’t Alone – Celebrities That Don’t Drink
- Top 10 Reasons People Don’t Respond to Text Messages