One of the best ways to deal with any phobia is exposure therapy. Here are ten steps to help you deal with the fear of elevators. To go easy on yourself and dis-prove this phobia attempt to do one step each day for 10 days straight (it is more effective if you do all steps together in one session). Always remember the more exposure you have to your fears, the less they can control you.
- Stand next to any elevator and just push the button.
- Walk in to an open elevator and then turn around and walk out before the elevator goes up or down.
- Get in the elevator and go up one floor and get off. Walk downstairs.
- Go up two floors and get off. Walk back downstairs.
- Go up one floor and get off. Wait for the elevator to return, and take it back down to the floor where you started.
- Go up two floors and get off. Wait for the elevator to return, and take it back down to the floor where you started.
- Go up several floors and get off. Wait for the elevator to return, and take it back down to the floor where you started.
- Ride up and down for a full minute.
- Ride up and down for several minutes.
- Ride up and down on an elevator in a tall building. Stay in the elevator until your anxiety disappears completely.
via, David, D Burns
This gradual exposure approach is very powerful and similar techniques can be applied to most phobias. Talk to your health care provider to find a 10 step solution to your specific phobia and start walking in freedom.
- Tell Me All Your Thoughts On God – Christianity 101
- “Fuck Society” – Mr Robot’s Elliot Alderson Outlines Society’s Blind-spots With Fervor
- Top 25 Regrets I Lived With For The Last 20 Years And Choose Not To Live With Any More
- A Teacher Explains To His Students Just How Privilege Works
- The Landmark Forum – Don’t Do It – Top Five Fails of Landmark Forum
- Can’t Drink Anymore? – You Aren’t Alone – Celebrities That Don’t Drink
- Top 10 Reasons People Don’t Respond to Text Messages