Why do we all feel so compelled to tell others how to live their lives, as if we are some gods among men with more knowledge and wisdom than the average joe traveling through the journey? “In my opinion, what I think, what you should do”, the list goes on we preach and figure our insight is that much more valuable than the next person and feel that it is of severe importance to pass on our two cents. The issue here is that we aren’t that much smarter or experienced than your next fellow, and no one likes being told what to do, we just get defensive and stop listening.
It has been said that 90% of people feel they have above average intelligence. Now if we all think that we are smarter than each other where is the brilliance in that? Where is the insight and wisdom coming from that allows us to think we are so high and mighty?; the ego is where the problem comes from, and I am guilty of it sometimes myself. I neglect the fact that just maybe there is a chance that this person doesn’t need or want my advice and just needs a shoulder to cry or a sounding board to release some internal conflict.
Next time you are having an in depth conversation with someone watch your urge to jump in and tell everyone how you think or feel!
Do you find your advice sometimes goes unwarranted?
- Tell Me All Your Thoughts On God – Christianity 101
- “Fuck Society” – Mr Robot’s Elliot Alderson Outlines Society’s Blind-spots With Fervor
- Top 25 Regrets I Lived With For The Last 20 Years And Choose Not To Live With Any More
- A Teacher Explains To His Students Just How Privilege Works
- The Landmark Forum – Don’t Do It – Top Five Fails of Landmark Forum
- Can’t Drink Anymore? – You Aren’t Alone – Celebrities That Don’t Drink
- Top 10 Reasons People Don’t Respond to Text Messages